Now that the 77th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is over, the Black Hills tourist season is winding down for the year, farmers are beginning to gear up for harvest season and schools are heading back into session, planning for WASHTO 2018 in beautiful South Dakota is in full swing!
Not only will we have a jam packed and informative agenda of technical presentations, in your free time you’ll have the opportunity to tour the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota, attend the moving lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore, visit Custer State Park and wander the streets of historic Deadwood and engage in some casino gambling. Thought I might share my Top 10 things to do or see while you’re in South Dakota:
- Mt. Rushmore (We’re taking you there on Monday Night)
- Crazy Horse Monument(Spouse/Guest Tour will see this on Monday)
- Historic Deadwood (Better in person than portrayed in the TV series!)
- Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway(It’s an awesome drive any time but in the fall it’s outstanding)
- Wall Drug (about 50 miles east of Rapid City – can’t beat the donuts!)
- Badlands National Park (again about 50 miles from Rapid City but worth the drive)
- Custer State Park (You’ll be dining where Calvin Coolidge held his summer White House)
- Mammoth Site at Hot Springs (about 50 miles south of Rapid City – working archaeological site)
- Wind Cave National Park(65 miles southwest of Rapid City -- one of the longest and most complex caves in the world)
- Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road in Custer State Park – (unique pigtails and tunnels add to the scenic route through the Black Hills)
Hopefully I’ve given you some ideas on things you can do while you’re here. Believe me there’s so much more! We look forward to hosting you in South Dakota for WASHTO 2018!!